Daisypath Vacation tickers

Friday, April 18, 2008

Frustration.....

Well, today has been one of those days when you just have to lay everything out on the table, look at it and go from there. This morning the surgical team came by and said that they have taken a different thought process..that Dr. Phillips (the surgeon) has decided that he doesn't want to do the surgery on Lauren on this visit because they want her to be completely healed from the pancreatitis. They worry that they could reinflame it if they do it now. So, okay, we were fine with that. Then I spent a long while talking to her other two metabolic doctors...her pancreatic enzymes have not gone down since Tuesday, and have even gone up some. The doctors told us that unless they jump up 200 or 300 points they consider that staying the same..okay, so now what?? They said that they will repeat the labs tomorrow to check and see where they are. In the meantime, Lauren is still not able to eat OR drink anything without severe pain and nausea. They said that they think they are going to put her on a scheduled dose of morphine and phenergan so she can be out of pain and then tomorrow try and get her to suck on a FEW icechips. We talked in great detail about pancreatitis, my concerns and theirs. One of the things that has them thinking and looking is the amount of nutrition Lauren is getting. She came into the hospital with pancreatitis already in a deficit because she had been sick with migraines and in the hospital only a week before, not to mention she hadn't eaten really well once she came home. So..they have her on tpn for nutrition but the lipids that are the fat and boost the caloric intake they are having to monitor closely because giving too many of them can throw her back into pancreatitis....ARE YA'LL CONFUSED YET???? Okay...so then there is the reflux issue which can be a whole another problem that we are dealing with...is the throwing up from that,...how much more serious is that getting and how long can we wait to have that surgery done???? Then there is the GSD itself which plays in the background all the time and comlicates everything! Now I can take a deep breath and just say we are going to be here until Lauren can eat, maintain her bloodsugar and get the pain under control...we don't have any idea how long that will take so we are not trying to even figure out dates..we are just taking it one day, one test, one lab result at a time. Dr. Muenzer returns on Monday, we will be looking forward to seeing his face I can tell you. Dr. Muge said this morning that when Dr. Muenzer returns he is going to look at them like they are a bunch of dodo heads. We all laughed. Her doctors are great and we know they are looking out for her. We are tired and trying to keep humor around as we look for our silver linings. They are always there. We love you all for your prayers and all the outpouring of love you are showing us...well, look, I just found a silver lining..that would have to be it! Thank you so much!

3 comments:

Loving LIfe said...

oh my, can I just say OH MY!
I would kidnap Lauren & run away but I know they take just good care of her at CH. Plus without your overseeing her I would be the dodo head that did something wrong to her. What if I rant away with her & took her Aunt to help care for her. LOL
I am sooo sorry it is so hard on all of you. I love you guys!!
Jewel

kim e said...

WoW.....and now we can all take back all those "Today was a real challange" or " I had a bad day". YOU win!! ( I know, you didn't want to win that one) Thank goodness for a smart medical team who are working hard to fix all of Lauren's pain. I still know you make us all feel better b/c you always find the sunshine coming out of the cloud. Lauren is in our prayers everyday and night. I will be glad when we read your future blog that says .... ok we got that one behind us! We're home and looking forward to our vacation!
I love you and I am glad I was blessed to be your sister.
Love ya,
Kim

Libbi said...

You made me cry and the nurses here as well...I am so sorry. that's all I can say! I love you both so. It will get better...