Daisypath Vacation tickers

Thursday, November 06, 2008

My last political thought!

Okay...this is my last political thought for this election year! While I am disappointed that almost EVERYONE I voted for lost, I am grateful for the opportunity I had to vote. Although I disagree with the policies of Obama and will watch closely these next 4 years to see how they unfold, I do believe in our 12th Article of Faith which states, "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, ruler, magistrates and in honoring, obeying and sustaining the law" so I feel at this time that I must abide by that and try to unite as an American and give President-Elect Obama a fair chance. It has always made me sad and incredibly disappointed at the way people have talked about President Bush (because I do still love him as a person, even though there have been things that I have disagreed with) so I will not do the same thing to Obama. I think that Heavenly Father expects me as a follower of Christ to show Christlike love and be respectful of the next President of the United States. I love being an American and having the freedom to vote. I am grateful for the scriptures which help to remind me that I should love everyone and treat everyone with kindness. I have not always followed that counsel but I am striving to do it better. As passionate as I am about my opinions, I am more passionate about my faith. I know that it is far more important for to me to be kinder than it is for me to be right. I hope over these next four years, come what may, that I can be respectful and in everything show by my actions that I am a disciple of Christ. I know the promises of the Lord are sure and I am grateful for the gospel. It gives me the courage to go forward with faith!

3 comments:

Grandma Ard said...

Thank you for always being fair and truthful to your faith. I am so grateful to you for what you are instilling in your children.
Mama would be so proud.!! !

Libbi said...

I absolutely agree with you...we can disagree without being disagreeable (didn't mama teach us that??). I have my doubts privately but my public face says, I support my country and respect the office of the president and will lend my puny support to president-elect Obama. (and I will try very hard not to make smart alect comments like we are now an obomination)Seriously, I love that my family realizes and lives the primary song "Kindness begins with me..." I love you!!!!!

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

I thought a very similar thing to your post the other day. In fact, last night I was out with some friends (ok, we were working on sewing projects, but that's fun so I call it "out with the girls") and one's an obama supporter, and although we disagree politically, I'm glad the election's over b/c I feel like there aren't sides anymore. We have a new president to be inaug. in Jan. and to be a strong country, we need to pray for him and support him (that is not trash him - like so many did to Bush) whether we voted for him or not. Thanks for the post