Daisypath Vacation tickers

Friday, June 12, 2009

Update on Lauren!

I thought I would give everyone an update since our drama on Wednesday. It appears that she has caught a cold bug or something that has thrown her backwards with the migraines. She has a great team of doctors working with her with her beloved Dr. Muenzer heading it up! We are blessed to have a doctor on the team that suffers from migraines and has been an invaluable source in guiding the doctor's efforts. They still have her on DHE (they actually increased the dose) but are going to bring it back down tomorrow. If her pain level hasn't gone down below a five on the pain scale tomorrow, they are considering giving her a scheduled dose of Zanaflex (a muscle relaxant) because it makes her very sleepy and they think it might be good for her to sleep as much as she can so that it will help with the migraine treatment. If they go that route, she will be getting it three times a day so she would be sleeping most of the time over the next two days. We will just have to wait and see. She woke up tonight and enjoyed visiting with Jeff and the kids. When they left, she asked the nurse if she could have the zanaflex...I asked her if she felt ok and she said no but she didn't want to make her dad and brother and sister feel bad while they were here. She seems to manage the pain when it goes below a certain level but then it seems to come back again and that it what they are trying to get under control. Right now I just think that she is feeling lowsy because of this cold bug too! On Monday, they will do an MRI under concious sedation. They tried to do one today with just some ativan but Lauren freaked out with her head hurting and the "darth vader" mask that they put over her face to keep her head still. After a few minutes, we called it quits and decided to do it the other way. Dr. Muenzer did not want her to be down there crying and shaking. She has been pretty drugged up today but at least when she is sleeping, her body is relaxed and the pain is better. I cannot say enough about our love and admiration for Dr. Muenzer...he takes extra steps to make sure we are doing ok. I have talked with him at length twice today...both times with a few tears and he just listens and tells me that Lauren is going to be fine and they will get her thru this. I know that they will. I have a lot of faith in them and I have prayed mightly that the Lord will direct their efforts. I feel like He is doing so and we are on a right path. The room gets smaller every day...I had hoped to transfer to a bigger room but it doesn't seem to be working out as well as I had hoped. It's okay though...we are making due! Please continue to pray that the pain in Lauren's head will subside and we will be able to go home one day next week! We are all definitely looking forward to our beach vacation! Below I have put some pictures of Lauren sleeping...she is still so frail and weak looking but she is going to get stronger! Thanks for all your support and prayers! We are looking forward in faith and we know she is being watched over and her guardian angel is near.




5 comments:

Libbi said...

glad you updated. I hate seeing those pics of her looking weak...but I know she is getting better and we will have good times in just 2 weeks!!!! WOO HOO!!!! I love you.

kim e said...

I too have the up most confidence in Dr. Munzer. I know all will be well soon. Love that "Teddy" stays by her side!

Art and Evelyn said...

She does look so frail but peaceful and beautiful. We are praying for her and hoping you guys can get on your way to your vacation on time! Good luck!

ELIZEM said...

Momma, do u have some weird thing about taking pictures of people sleeping in a hospital...I don't understand it. I happy she doing some better though....I wish ya'll come home TODAY! :(

Reynolds Rundown said...

Jean,
So sad to hear about Lauren. Our prayers are with you. We'd like to send a note to Lauren-what is the address there at the hospital. Will she be there long enough or should we send it to your house?

Morgen