Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Curve Ball !!!

Well, today started out good at least...I got up early, got the room packed up, our clothes washed and had everything ready for Jeff to come pick us up from the hospital around 12:30 this afternoon. Lauren slept in late, Dr. Muenzer came in, we all talked and then they came in to give us our prescriptions to take home and Lauren got up to take a shower! Once she got into the bathroom, she called for me and when I opened the door she was falling to the floor with her eyes rolled back in her head. I caught her head just before she hit the floor and laid her gently down then reached for the nurses's call button and yelled for help! Lauren was pale, clammy, and very disoriented (CLASSIC HYPOGLYCEMIA). I grabbed the bloodsugar machine just as the nurse came running in and we started giving her sugar filled soda to bring up her bloodsugar as she began to come around. They paged Dr. Muenzer and he came running up from his clinic visits as well as the neurologists and a lot of other people crowding into the room. Nicoletta (the nurse) and I were able to get her to the bed and then she started throwing up everything. Everyone stepped into highgear and we quickly reaccessed (I had already deaccessed her) port and Dr. Muenzer ordered the staff to restart her D-10! They gave her phenergan thru the IV and we took a wet washcloth and wiped her face and got her calmed down. They hooked her up to the heart monitor to watch her more closely and we checked her bloodsugar frequently until it was back up to normal. She fell asleep and I took a big sigh of relief that she was sleeping calmly and the crisis was over! Jeff came up and we are sitting talking about how much we hate GSD and how sometimes it just creates havoc for no good reason! They have decided to run the DHE Protocol another day and then reassess her again tomorrow! For the meantime, she is back on the IV and we are most grateful that we hadn't left the hospital yet when this happened and that we have wonderful doctors who take great care of her! She was in the best place she could have been in for her to have a hpyoglcemia attack although we all wish we could have figured out why it happened....but that is GSD and we are hoping she hasn't caught something while she has been up here although I don't think anything is going around up here so who knows!!! I have said a prayer of gratitude in my heart to the Lord that all has turned out and we will probably be here for a couple of more days until we get this worked out! Lauren loves to throw us curve balls and we had a doozy of one thrown at us this morning! It's a good thing we are learning to catch them better.......:)

4 comments:

kim e said...

Your stamina is amazing. SO glad you were still there and everyone pulled Lauren all back together!

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

I'm sorry you have to stay longer, but yes...good that you were still there when it happened (I guess a silver lining to another cloud.) You probably feel like Kaitlyn last night during the storm (that ruined her little tv show) "I DON'T LIKE CLOUDS!" We haven't stopped praying...

LaNelle said...

You are such a good example to me. If I was in your situation I probably would have been mad and annoyed and would not have thought to pray and thank the Lord. You are amazing! I don't know how you do it. We sure love you and wish you didn't have to go through this...but I am glad that if you have to it is now and not while we are all at the beach! Still counting down the days!

Libbi said...

Man...I am so sorry but so glad you were at the hospital and that Dr muenzer was available. GET WELL LAUREN!!!!!