Daisypath Vacation tickers

Friday, December 11, 2009

The FLU.....WHAT?????

Okay, now I go out of my way to try and prevent my family from getting the flu....I did exactly what the doctors asked me to do..my kids got the regular flu shot and then I made sure they got the h1n1 flu shot as well so I thought we were covered! Yesterday, Lauren wakes up with a really bad sore throat, fever, body aches, headache, and stomachache! I immediately call her doctor and make an appointment to bring her in. Before we go to the doctor her temp is around 102 so I give her tylenol and make sure she has cornstarch. On the way, Lauren gets sick in the car...I speed up a little and start to worry. Jeff meets me at the doctor's office and we are told that it looks like Lauren has the FLU!!! I said, "She had BOTH flu shots..what is this???" Dr. Covington and Dr. Muenzer both informed me that even though she had the shot, it would not guarantee that she would not get the flu, but that if she got it, she would get a more "watered down" version which in her case would be much better than the full blown flu...well, the "watered down" version in her is as bad as what everyone else that has had the flu has been...I am so grateful that we have all had the shot!! If she had gotten the full blown version of the flu then we would definitely had been in the hospital...no question!!! As is, we are hoping that we don't have to be going to the hospital..we are getting a 48 hour window from the doctors and they are trying to renig on that already!!! Last night her fever was up and we were a little concerned because Lauren can't take ibuprofen..it makes her sick to her stomach..so we cooled her down with a cool rag and put a light blanket on her which helped a lot! Jeff and Nathan also gave her a blessing and I immediately felt at peace. She still does not feel good but we know that she will get a little better each day. We are thankful for her doctors that take such good care of her and worry over her like Jeff and I do. We are not happy that somehow the flu has made it to our house BUT we are VERY GRATEFUL that it made it here before Christmas...we just need to get this out of the way so we can enjoy our time together as a family!!!

2 comments:

LaNelle said...

oh man...that is no fair!
I couldn't get the flu shot this year because when they offered it at my school was already really sick with a sinus infection and so I couldn't get the shot. I am always praying that I won't get the flu this last week of school because I want to enjoy my time with my family at Christmas!

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

So glad it's getting out before Christmas! We are having round the family infections before Christmas and I was thinking the other day - let's just get this out of the way so no one is sick on Christmas this year! Then, I thought, I bet Jean hopes the same thing!