Daisypath Vacation tickers

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Update!

Well, it looks like from the initial test results that we have an answer for why Lauren has been running fever and feeling bad all over. Her blood culture came back positive for bacteria. That means that Lauren's port a cath is infected. They have her on IV antibiotics for broad coverage and they have drawn another blood culture this morning to re-check it. If it comes back for sure, then she will have to be on IV antibiotics for 14 days after they figure out which antibiotic the bacteria is sensitive to. We are praying that they will be able to clear the infection out of the line so that we won't have to pull it out and replace it. We will have to see how it goes though. As of now, we are preparing for being up here for a few weeks. I think, if she doesn't have to go on vancomycin (she is HIGHLY allergic to it) that we should be able to stay here at Wake Med the whole time. We are in constant contact with her doctors over at Chapel Hill so we know she is being well taken care of. As of right now though she is feeling VERY lousy and hurts all over which her doctor at Chapel Hill said is from the infection! Along with that, her asthma is acting up because she doesn't feel well and she has already had a migraine which has been triggered by her blood sugar bouncing around! She is a trooper though and we will get thru this! We are thankful for the prayers that are being lifted up in her behalf! She is one courageous little girl who faces things in her life with determination and a strong will! We will keep you posted!

3 comments:

myglorydays said...

Glad you know what it is but sorry it is such a long treatment period. Call me for relief from staying at the hospital. You know how busy I stay ;) but I bet I can work in a few quality visits. haha! Really I would love to spend time with Lauren & I am almost always free to do so. I love you guys & will see you this week. Jewel

What kind of verification wood is shoolsit? haha

Libbi said...

Sure hope they took the blood culture before they started the antibiotics...

yeah, a bloodstream infection is the worst and I bet she does feel lousy. Wish I was there. Take care of my girl and keep me posted. I will be busy with Peter but will be up as soon as I can!

kim e said...

I sure hope it will be a quick recovery. I know it just has to stink to be there! Lauren looks sweet with the cute lavender blanket. Hopefully spring will arrive soon and bring good health and happy days.