Daisypath Vacation tickers

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Update on Michael!

Today has been and up and down day for me! I have been thrown some curve balls that resulted in many shed tears and then have been uplifted by my great family, good friends, a wonderful husband and an extremely supportive bishop. I so enjoyed watching conference today and was edified completely. This afternoon the doctors up here came in and told me that Michael's blood culture had come back positive and they wanted to do another one as they felt like it might be a contaminate. I didn't think too much about it but Michael slept most of the day and when he finally woke up late this afternoon, he was very pasty looking with absolutely NO color. He went to the bathroom and sat up but his lips were very chapped and he kept drinking water. I then called Dr. Muenzer and told him what the doctors had told me about Mikey's blood culture. He told me how serious infections can be of the skin and once they get into the blood stream, they can be extremely difficult to get rid of as they are very resistant. He also did not believe that the positive blood culture was a contaminate. He told me that since it had grown out so fast that it was probably a real infection. He told me that the doctors here had him on several different antibiotics and they would cover it all. When I informed him that they only had him on clendamycin (sp?), he told me to go find the attending doctor here and have him call him. I began to cry on the phone with him and he assured me that he would make sure everything was being done for Michael. I shared with him all of my concerns. Within about 30 minutes the doctors from here came in our room and told me that they had spoken at length with Dr. Muenzer and they were going to switch him to vancomycin (a very powerful antibiotic) and ceftriaxoine (sp.?) so that he was covered for most everything. They also drew another blood culture from his arm and said they would watch him very closely. I got Michael settled and then went out to get some water. I called Jeff on my cell phone and started to cry uncontrollably. Jeff left immediately to come up here as he could see the fear and anxiety I was under. I also called our Bishop who came immediately as well! When Jeff got here, Michael had some color in his face but he also had fever once again! I left Mikey with Jeff and walked down the hall to get some air. About that time, Bishop Tiek came down the hall and I began to cry as soon as I saw him. I told him about my fears and he gave me great comfort! We went back to Mikey's room and Jeff and Bishop Tiek administered to Michael. The blessing that Bishop Tiek gave Michael was beautiful and brought tears to my eyes. I could feel the spirit so strong in the room. After they had administered to Michael, they gave me a blessing as well. It brought me great peace and shortly afterwards, Michael began to perk up. He has felt better this evening and we feel much calmer. I am so grateful for the power of prayer and how it has uplifted us today. We are still waiting for results but we feel confident in the doctors and nurses and know they are looking out for him. We will be here for however long it takes to completely clear this infection from his body. It has been a frightening day as results have come back but we know that Michael is strong and the the Lord is watching over him. Please continue to pray for our precious little boy as he fights this infection. We are surely grateful for our blessings and are counting them tonight as I see improvement in Michael already! I will keep you posted!

3 comments:

myglorydays said...

Oh my, I do not even know what to say except I love you guys. I know Micheal is strong, smart & special. I am glad Bishop Tiek could come & help ease your concerns. I am keeping you in my prayers & thoughts. Keep me informed.
Sadly I can not shake whatever infection I have...still a fever, sinus infection, ear infections (my ear is bleeding) & my nose feels like I have been punched on it. I now have stomach issues thanks to the ultra strong antibotic she gave me. Looks like a ct scan is happening Wednesday. ugh! So since Micheal & I can not be sure our infections will mingle & make both of us sicker, I guess I will stay away at least until the fever is gone.
How do I seem to get sick at the same time as my family? Sorry I am no help again.

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

Did you notice the last post before the video was coming home from the hospital and the first post after it was going back? I'm sure you did...we love you. We will be praying til you're back home again!

Libbi said...

Hang in there...many many prayers on your behalf...I think by now you have your own special line...we love you both!!!